Stoltzfus Meats began in 1954 when Amos Stoltzfus and his wife Mary started selling meats and other goods from Lancaster County at the New Castle Farmer’s Market in New Castle, Delaware. The Farmer’s Market started shortly after World War II, located at a highly-trafficked corner a few miles outside of the Old Town of New Castle, on land once owned by the William Penn family. The first few weeks at market for Amos and Mary were difficult and unprofitable. Despite having invested much money and time into developing recipes for sausage, scrapple, and other PA Dutch meats, Amos wondered how much longer the business could survive. Mary encouraged him to “give it one more week.” That “one more week” ended up being the first of many profitable weeks, months, and years to come.
In the 1960s, Stoltzfus Meats expanded its customer base, product line, and facilities. After buying land from his father, Amos and his brother Ben built a small butcher shop to handle the growing demand for their delicious sausage, ham, and bacon. By 1966, a small retail store was attached to the butcher shop to supply local customers. Soon after, in 1968, a family-style restaurant (now closed) opened on the Stoltzfus homestead. The butcher shop expanded in 1969 and 1971 to allow for an increase in production, which grew to 45 hogs slaughtered a week.
Demand for Stoltzfus Meats’ quality products–using the same recipes created by Amos–continued to grow through the 1990s and 2000s. In 2008, a newly renovated market stand at the New Castle Farmer’s Market was built, followed in 2009 by a new retail store right in the heart of Intercourse. A restaurant–called “Amos’ Place”–was added to the new retail store in homage to our founder who passed away in 2007. Famous for his cheerful demeanor and oyster stew, Amos was beloved by employees, who he would see each Monday when mixing the spices for sausage. But in many ways, it was his wife Mary, who passed away in 1994, whose optimism and support is credited with keeping the business alive.
Today, Stoltzfus Meats is led by Amos’s son Myron. Under Myron’s leadership and vision, Stoltzfus Meats has expanded to include enlarged retail space and new product lines, and now serves many retail stores, market stands, and restaurants throughout the East Coast–including our stand at the New Castle Farmer’s Market, where the same hand painted sign from 1954 still hangs. Together with a passionate core of dedicated employees, loyal customers, and quality products, Stoltzfus Meats continues to grow, grounded in the past and confident in the future.